out of memory

if you see these following lines on your screen and your web server’s stop working, you might want to give “df -h” command on your shell and check whether one of your partition usage is up to 100%.

DMA free:12564kB min:16kB low:32kB high:48kB active:0kB inactive:0kB present:16384kB pages_scanned:427 all_unreclaimable? yes
protections[]: 0 0 0
Normal free:912kB min:928kB low:1856kB high:2784kB active:304036kB inactive:569464kB present:901120kB pages_scanned:2705765 all_unreclaimable? yes
protections[]: 0 0 0
HighMem free:112kB min:128kB low:256kB high:384kB active:65404kB inactive:52876kB present:130976kB pages_scanned:215457 all_unreclaimable? yes
protections[]: 0 0 0
DMA: 3*4kB 3*8kB 3*16kB 4*32kB 3*64kB 1*128kB 1*256kB 1*512kB 1*1024kB 1*2048kB
2*4096kB = 12564kB
Normal: 0*4kB 2*8kB 4*16kB 0*32kB 1*64kB 0*128kB 1*256kB 1*512kB 0*1024kB 0*2048kB 0*4096kB = 912kB
HighMem: 0*4kB 4*8kB 1*16kB 0*32kB 1*64kB 0*128kB 0*256kB 0*512kB 0*1024kB 0*2048kB 0*4096kB = 112kB
Swap cache: add 537645, delete 537644, find 29242/31013, race 0+1
0 bounce buffer pages
Free swap: 0kB
262120 pages of RAM
32744 pages of HIGHMEM
3476 reserved pages
9399 pages shared
1 pages swap cached
Out of Memory: Killed process 2280 (httpd).

Nokia 3155 usb modem problem

Nokia 3155i is a CDMA cellphone i use to connect to the internet at home. it’s attached to a PC which is a gateway for others to the internet. the driver for the nokia usb modem is taken from PC Suite 6.81.13.0 which works fine from the first time of installation.

so if i want to browse the net from a laptop, i have to turn on the PC gateway even though i will not use it. it’s not a problem when my wife is at home and working on the PC. but when she’s not…. it’s a waste of power 🙁
so today i tried to connect the cellphone to the laptop (compaq presario 2500) so that i could browse the net without the need to turn on the gateway PC. i installed a newer PC Suite (Nokia_PC_Suite_rel_6_86_9_0_eng_web.exe) on the laptop just to get the driver for the cellphone modem. after the installation, i set up a dial-up connection by running the wizard. the set up completed and i tried to dial….. but it failed 🙁 it said the connection was terminated by the remote computer….
i did some check… everything looked good…. the cellphone was not connected to the PC Suite. normally the connection attempt will fail if the cellphone is connected to PC Suite.

my friend happened to call me for some solutions about a problem at the office……..he’s got a lot of experience about connecting a computer to the internet using a cellphone……. so i asked him what i had missed in my settings…. he suggest to add AT+CRM=1 on the modem’s advanced settings. i did what he told but still no luck.
i was then uninstall the PC Suite, asked google using the PC gateway and download Nokia_Connectivity_Cable_Driver_rel_6_86_11_0_eng.msi from somewhere. installed the file, and set up a new connection again on the laptop. No luck…….

i had a hunch that the problem was with the driver…. it’s newer but it’s no good…. so i searched the net again with google to find the same PC Suite as the one installed on the PC gateway. i finally found the nokia 3155 modem driver here
it’s quiet big… about 17 Mb
after the download finished, i uninstalled the Nokia Conectivity Cable Driver and installed the downloaded PC Suite file, set up a new connection again on the laptop, tried to connect…. and finally it was successful 🙂.